There is one bug that can strike at least a little dread into the heart of anyone, but especially anyone that has or works with children on a regular basis: lice. Bugs in general aren’t many people’s best friends, and those bugs that live in our hair and on our clothes are the fear of many households as a hassle worth avoiding.
Anything that has the ability to stop us in our tracks the way a lice break-out can is worth understanding a little better. See below some facts from the CDC that you might not have known!
- Lice prime time is fall and winter (coinciding with cold and flu seasons). How convenient for lice that as soon as kids start back at school the weather cools off and they are able to find hosts more easily!?
- Despite what many of us were told, the truth is that lice cannot jump. Good news!
- Lice on human heads are exclusive to humans. Even lice are picky eaters… so try not to torture your furry pets with too many extra baths from lice related worries.
- Shared spaces for jackets, bookbags and other personal items are not likely to cause lice to spread… but if it is possible to keep your things separate, it’s still a good idea to do so!
- Lice themselves aren’t the culprit of spreading disease (for the most part). Scratching your scalp however due to the itchy bites can cause infections!
- Lice infestations are not indicative of cleanliness for people’s homes or even their hygiene. In fact, lice can hold their breath for several hours, so even frequent thorough showers and a spotless home won’t necessarily keep them at bay.
What happens if lice befall your household? No worries! For treatment and advice on how to get lice gone come see us at your favorite center or visit a local pharmacy for over the counter options!
If you aren’t feeling well remember your local Medac is always happy to help! Our urgent care centers are open every day of the week 8:00 am to 8:00 pm- No appointment necessary! From 8am to 6pm we offer Rapid Antigen and send-out PCR COVID-19 testing, as well as COVID-19 antibody testing. To be seen by a provider, simply walk in, or save your spot online for visits between 8am and 6pm by clicking here! For information on E-registration to save time click here. Telemedicine options are available here. We look forward to helping you Get Better. Faster!