Halloween traditions are back this year. Sort of. In a CBS News interview, CDC director Rochelle Walensky said, “I wouldn’t necessarily go to a crowded Halloween party, but I think we should be able to let our kids go trick-or-treating in small groups.”
As indicated by Walensky’s comment, and via the CDC’s website, a recent steady decline in COVID-19 cases has lead the CDC to give the green light for children to trick-or-treat this Halloween. It is still best to take precautionary measures for Halloween because most children trick-or-treating are under 11 years old and some are likely to still be unvaccinated. Remember, community transmission still remains high for the delta variant. Here are some tips for participating in the fun, while keeping safety from COVID-19 a priority.
- When handing out candy to trick-or-treaters, wearing a mask will reduce the risk of transmission and make the interaction safer for everyone.
- While trick-or-treating, it is recommended to travel in small groups, spend short durations at people’s doorsteps, and to incorporate a mask in the child’s costume.
- Avoiding boxed-in candy counting/trading or trunk-or-treat gatherings in a central location is also advised.
- The final and most important way to ensure a COVID-safe Halloween is to get vaccinated. If you or your child/children are not yet vaccinated, be sure to get tested before Halloween if you plan on going trick-or-treating and/or attending a gathering.
- Wearing a mask in crowded spaces is also recommended.
In short, Halloween activities are safest when we are vaccinated, respecting physical distancing, and wearing masks.
If you aren’t feeling well remember your local Medac is always happy to help! Our urgent care centers are open every day of the week 8:00 am to 8:00 pm- No appointment necessary! From 8am to 6pm we offer Rapid Antigen and send-out PCR COVID-19 testing, as well as COVID-19 antibody testing. To be seen by a provider, simply walk in, or save your spot online for visits between 8am and 6pm by clicking here! For information on E-registration to save time click here. Telemedicine options are available here. We look forward to helping you Get Better. Faster!