When you hear the term ringworm, you probably think of circular worms under the skin. But Ringworm actually isn’t a worm at all- it’s a fungal infection. Here are five facts about ringworm to help you understand more about this rash:
- Jock itch and athlete’s foot are the same type of infection as ringworm
- Most cases of ringworm are treatable over the counter without a prescription. Cases of ringworm on the scalp are the most likely to require a trip to see us at Medac, as these cases tend to require stronger treatment.
- It might take a while to get rid of the rash altogether. Many cases resolve in 2 to 4 weeks with appropriate treatment. However, cases of ringworm on the scalp could take as long as 3 months to heal.
- Your pets can carry and spread ringworm, so if you notice something out of place with your pet’s fur or skin, don’t hesitate to take them to the vet. Just be sure to protect yourself in the process by wearing long sleeves and pants and making sure to clean your hands immediately after handling them.
- There are more than 40 different species of fungi that can be responsible for the rash. This means that virtually anybody can be affected. There are always those that need to be more vigilant, though. For example, those with weakened immune systems due to chemo or chronic conditions could be more susceptible to the infection.
So never fear the worm in ringworm and remember your local Medac will always be happy to help in clearing it up! Our urgent care centers are open every day of the week 8:00 am to 8:00 pm- No appointment necessary! To be seen by a provider, simply walk in, or save your spot online by clicking here. We look forward to helping you Get Better. Faster!