This time of year, it’s neither concerning nor surprising to see people out and about wearing surgical masks. In fact, it’s comforting to think that members of our communities are being responsible if they venture out when they are ill, or that they are being proactive in avoiding the flu and other ailments. If you are one of those people that take advantage of the added protection of surgical masks, here are a few tips on how to wear them correctly.
- Wash your hands before handling the mask.
- Place the metallic band at the bridge of the nose, bending to conform to the bridge of the nose.
- Read supplier directions on the masks box. For most brands, a hint is that the colored side of the mask is supposed to face outward.
- The mask should cover from the bridge of the nose down over the mouth and the chin.
- When taking off the mask, handle it by the ear loops to avoid germs that have collected on the outside of the mask.
- Dispose of and replace masks throughout the day if they get soiled or damaged. They should not be re-used.
If you start to feel unwell, your local Medac is here to help! Our centers are open 8:00 am to 8:00 pm- no appointment necessary! You can also use our Save My Spot option HERE. If you need us, we look forward to helping you Get Better. Faster!